Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Acupuncture - does it work for cats?

Acupuncture works for cats too! Leila was a 6 year old cat I met for intestinal problems. She has was being treated for over 2 years for chronic constipation. Ms. C, brought her to me for examination. Leila was suspicious , meowing , and started hissing when I tried to examine her abdomen. I was able to glimpse her tongue which was purplish red and her pulses were rapid (she was nervous) and strong which I tried to compress but could not diminish.( this is a diagnostic technique of pulse diagnosis) It seemed that her constipation resulted from a slow buildup of her waste products and her inability to make regular bowel movements, a sort of stasis or stagnation in her body.
I proceeded to place a few needles seeing if she would tolerate the procedure. She was ok with the first needles, so I placed the second set. The points I used were meant to increase her intestinal energy, (peristalsis) and diminish the stasis or stagnation from her system which was causing her problem. After two treatments, we are happy to report that Leila is doing much better.She continues to use her prescribed medications , but with the addition of acupuncture treatments done twice a month, her bouts of constipation needing medical attention have been reduced significantly much to the relief of Mrs. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment